The final key component of our plan to build the best community possible is to broadly and meaningfully engage residents and stakeholders in the Town decision making process. Research shows that an engaged community is a better community in many ways including:
- more empathy by citizens for other perspectives and for the decision faced by the governing body
- greater buy in of the decision and more effective enforcement where it is regulatory in nature
- increased social capital in the community (improved trust and relationships)
- increased efficiency in municipal service delivery
- possibly even higher levels of well-being and health status, better work performance and better adjusted children and safer, more attractive and welcoming communities
Council has adopted an Engagement Strategy which includes communication, branding and engagement to help ensure the broad and meaningful engagement of the community that we desire. We have adopted the Triple C approach to engagement – communication, consultation and collaboration. This is a continuum of engagement that will increase as the complexity and impact of a decision increases. We will communicate to residents and stakeholders when we have information to share. We will consult with residents and stakeholders when there are options and alternatives available. We will collaborate with residents and stakeholders on major decisions and policies to ensure that our vision and direction reflects the will of the people.
Stratford, Prince Edward Island is a vibrant, growing, welcoming community where the best of PEI’s land and water resources blend with a mix of urban and rural living to create the balanced lifestyle people are looking for, and engaged residents actively share the responsibility of innovative governance with their elected officials.