Stratford unveils new interpretive sign at Pondside Park

Join us in celebrating the History of Kelly’s Pond

The Town of Stratford is unveiling a new interpretive sign in Pondside Park on November 30th at 1pm.

Kelly’s pond has a rich and diverse history. From a fish hatchery to ice production to a recreational area, the pond has been a location of activity within the community for well over 230 years.

Doug Kelly, Chair of the Town’s Heritage Committee spoke about the pond saying, “Kelly’s Pond is an important part of Stratford’s Heritage and we are excited that through this project residents and visitors to Stratford can learn about and enjoy this beautiful and historically rich location within our community.”

The ownership of the pond and surrounding area was held by three separate families between the years of 1780 and 1965.  Originally Chief Justice Peter Stewart acquired the parcel of land which included Pondside Park and it remained within the Stewart family for almost a century.  During their ownership the Stewarts dammed the small brook known as Stewart Creek to form the pond. Below the dam they built a mill and leased its operation to a tenant miller. 

In 1879 the mill pond and adjacent five acres of land was sold to Edward Beete, son of Major John Picton Beete, then in 1886, the mill pond was purchased by Edward Kelly of Lake Verde. Under Kelly’s ownership the mill pond became known as Kelly’s Pond. The pond remained in the Kelly family until 1965 when it was acquired by the province, and designated as parkland.

Throughout the years the pond has had many uses: a fish hatchery that stocked both Atlantic salmon and brook trout from 1905 until its closure around 1960; ice cutting in the 1920s to 1930s in which it supplied ice to the railroad and Central Creameries in Charlottetown at approximately 3,000 tons of ice per year; as well as a location for year-round recreation.  Children and adults have and continue to use the pond for skating, fishing, swimming as well as Red Cross small craft safety instruction.

The Town of Stratford is committed to preserving our heritage and respecting the natural environment. In 2005, Stratford Town Council resolved that the pond at Pondside Park be officially named Kelly’s Pond in formal recognition of the name it has held since 1886. The interpretive sign that is being unveiled at Pondside Park will ensure this important heritage site within Stratford is recognized and preserved.

For further information, view the event listing or contact:
Adele Gillis, Planning, Development and Heritage Department
tel 569-6255, email – agillis@townofstratford.caor

Stratford unveils new interpretive sign at Pondside Park

Join us in celebrating the History of Kelly’s Pond

The Town of Stratford is unveiling a new interpretive sign in Pondside Park on November 30th at 1pm.

Kelly’s pond has a rich and diverse history. From a fish hatchery to ice production to a recreational area, the pond has been a location of activity within the community for well over 230 years.

Doug Kelly, Chair of the Town’s Heritage Committee spoke about the pond saying, “Kelly’s Pond is an important part of Stratford’s Heritage and we are excited that through this project residents and visitors to Stratford can learn about and enjoy this beautiful and historically rich location within our community.”

The ownership of the pond and surrounding area was held by three separate families between the years of 1780 and 1965.  Originally Chief Justice Peter Stewart acquired the parcel of land which included Pondside Park and it remained within the Stewart family for almost a century.  During their ownership the Stewarts dammed the small brook known as Stewart Creek to form the pond. Below the dam they built a mill and leased its operation to a tenant miller. 

In 1879 the mill pond and adjacent five acres of land was sold to Edward Beete, son of Major John Picton Beete, then in 1886, the mill pond was purchased by Edward Kelly of Lake Verde. Under Kelly’s ownership the mill pond became known as Kelly’s Pond. The pond remained in the Kelly family until 1965 when it was acquired by the province, and designated as parkland.

Throughout the years the pond has had many uses: a fish hatchery that stocked both Atlantic salmon and brook trout from 1905 until its closure around 1960; ice cutting in the 1920s to 1930s in which it supplied ice to the railroad and Central Creameries in Charlottetown at approximately 3,000 tons of ice per year; as well as a location for year-round recreation.  Children and adults have and continue to use the pond for skating, fishing, swimming as well as Red Cross small craft safety instruction.

The Town of Stratford is committed to preserving our heritage and respecting the natural environment. In 2005, Stratford Town Council resolved that the pond at Pondside Park be officially named Kelly’s Pond in formal recognition of the name it has held since 1886. The interpretive sign that is being unveiled at Pondside Park will ensure this important heritage site within Stratford is recognized and preserved.

For further information, view the event listing or contact:
Adele Gillis, Planning, Development and Heritage Department
tel 569-6255, email – agillis@townofstratford.caor

Date of Construction:
Style/Design:
Architect/Builder:
Integrity: